The Blackman & Sloop team is dedicated to living out the firm’s core values. In 2019, we had the opportunity to uphold our fifth core value, “pay it forward.” From August 30 – December 8, we participated in the North Carolina Association of CPAs’ 100 Days of Service.
The 100-day service event was inspired by the association’s dual desire to honor its 100th anniversary and give back to the local community. More than 50 firms and organizations participated in the project.
Here is a round-up of the service projects that the Blackman & Sloop team participated in during the 100 Days of Service:
- Food Drives – Blackman & Sloop hosted a donation drive for one local organization in September. The firm partnered with TABLE, an organization that provides healthy emergency food aid to children in the Chapel Hill, Carrboro, and Orange County communities. To learn more about TABLE’s mission to provide hunger relief and nutrition education, click here to visit their website.
- Clothing & Accessories Drive – In October, the firm partnered with Dress for Success – Triangle, hosting a drive for gently used clothing and accessories. The items gathered are for women in need of interview attire. Dress for Success – Triangle seeks to empower women to achieve economic independence, one job at a time. For more information, visit the Dress for Success homepage.
- Day of Service – Each year, Blackman & Sloop is committed to participating in a firm-wide day of service. On November 19th, the team headed to the North Carolina Botanical Gardens where they worked on garden maintenance and helped create edible ornaments for the garden’s Christmas tree. Click here to learn more about volunteer opportunities at the NC Botanical Gardens.
- Toy Wrapping – On December 6th, the firm gathered to serve Big Brothers/Big Sisters of the Triangle. Team members brought a variety of toys for donation and worked together to wrap them as holiday gifts. The toy-wrapping party was great fun for the firm and a great benefit to the community. For more information on Big Brothers/Big Sisters of the Triangle, check them out online.
- Care Kits – Blackman & Sloop topped off their participation in 100 Days of Service by assembling kits of helpful items to pass out to the homeless. The firm donated toiletries, socks, hand warmers, snacks and more and assembled the items into kits. Each team member took some kits to keep in their car to have available to share with those in need over the holiday season.