Deetra joined Blackman & Sloop in 2005 as a staff accountant and quickly climbed the ranks to her current position as a principal in the assurance department. She is skilled in helping nonprofit and educational clients identify opportunities to strengthen their financial governance, business strategy, and operational efficiencies. Furthermore, she challenges the status quo by helping them anticipate future trends and drive innovation. Her experience is vast, having worked with a variety of nonprofit organizations, as well as colleges and universities.
A devoted member of both her professional and local communities, Deetra has authored articles for industry publications and presented seminars on a variety of nonprofit accounting and management topics. In addition, she volunteers her accounting services to local small businesses and community organizations, and by serving on boards for various local nonprofits.
Deetra describes herself as “a quiet storm”—she’s calm and peaceful on the outside, but inside she is full of ideas. Her peers consider her dedicated and hard working. Deetra’s driven nature, along with the consistent support of her family and the mentors she has had along the way, are the major factors to which she attributes her success.
Raised in Durham, North Carolina, Deetra continues to reside in her hometown with her husband, Wimberly, and their three sons. When she isn’t volunteering or preparing audits, Deetra enjoys spending time with her family and friends, playing sports, and getting in some stress-relieving exercise.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) – North Carolina #28086
- Chartered Global Management Accountant (CGMA)
- AICPA Advanced Single Audit Certified
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- “Start Here, Go Places” CPA of the Month
- AICPA 2010 Leadership Academy
- Former Assurance Services Executive Committee
- North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants (NCACPA)
- NCACPA Not-for-Profit Committee
- NCACPA Board of Directors 2015 – 2017
- NCACPA Financial Literacy Committee – Former Member
- University of North Carolina at Greensboro
- Master of Science in Accounting – 1999
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting – 1998
- Minor in Communications