Joan began her accounting career at Blackman & Sloop in 1978. During her 40+ years of service, she has worked in many areas of the accounting industry, though she specializes in working with high-net-worth individuals and providing estate and trust compliance and planning services.
A personable professional and good listener, Joan believes that these traits have helped her throughout her career. Her colleagues describe her as driven and one who holds high expectations. Joan attributes her love of learning, enjoyment of serving others, and overall dedication to the accounting profession to be her secrets to success. She jokingly states that she ‘went into accounting to have a 9-to-5 job’—clearly what she got was much more!
A North Carolina native, Joan currently resides in Chapel Hill with her husband and their dog, Quincy. Their oldest son is married and lives in Cincinnati, while their younger son resides in Southern Pines. Outside of the office, Joan enjoys golfing, traveling, reading, and spending time with her family and friends.
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) – North Carolina #12646
- Certified Specialist in Retirement Planning
- Chartered Global Management Accountant
- American Institute of Certified Public Accountants (AICPA)
- AICPA Joint Trial Board (2012-2019)
- AICPA Council Member (2008-2012)
- AICPA Special Focus Group (2011)
- North Carolina Association of Certified Public Accountants (NCACPA)
- NCACPA Board of Directors Member (2004-2007)
- NCACPA Board of Directors – Chair Elect (2008-2009)
- NCACPA Board of Directors – Chairman (2009-2010)
- NCACPA Board of Directors – Immediate Past Chair (2010-2011)
- NCACPA Chairman of Professional Development Advisory Council (2014-2019)
- Various committees and task forces of the NCACPA
- Durham-Orange Estate Planning Council
- Board Member (2016-2019)
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- Bachelor of Science in Business Administration (emphasis in accounting) – 1977